Tuesday, May 3, 2011

This Woman's Worth


For my birthday, I had almost 100 friends wish me a happy birthday on Facebook. I had a handful send me greetings on the BBM. A few on the other messengers I log on to. Texts messages. Phone calls. Emails. But nothing from H.S.S. It was not until a few days after that I got a "sorry I missed your birthday but I was so busy" call. Yes, I was mad at him, but then checked myself real quickly on that. He is not my man and I cannot hold him to such standards. Nonetheless, I was still feeling bitter about it.

BUT, the fact that so many other people took time out of their busy schedules to acknowledge my existence showed me a lot. I matter. And I may be be nothing to one person, but many things to many others. I am a good mother, a good daughter, a good friend, and when given the opportunity I am a damn good lover. I pledged right there and then to never measure my worth in the eyes of any one person. I may have thought it before, but it has now become an affirmation.


blkmsm@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment